Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Having another stupid insomniac experience

Here I am awake at midnight with a very full day behind me and another in front of me. All reason says I should be in bed sawing logs, but my head is still in being vertical mode.

New job is good. Lots of stuff to sink my teeth into, and these folks really have a need for the kind of skills I have. We are chest deep into bringing up new software to forecast the business. Supposed to be live in a couple weeks, but some humps to get over that may push that back a month. I'm frustrated that I still don't have intimate knowledge of the business, but then it's not realistic of me to expect in depth knowledge after just 5 weeks with the company.....nobody there is frustrated with my newness, so why should I be?

Rob and Amanda are turning into fine parents. It's very gratifying to see your son become an honest-to-goodness sensible, reasoning, caring adult after all the crud the kid went through during adolescence. Amanda and Nathan are still trying to work out a decent wake/sleep cycle, and I suspect Amanda is having some trouble adjusting to just having the dog and baby for company all day when she's been used to working with people who can carry on conversations. Still, the kids seem to be happy in their new roles as parents, even for all the adjustments that come with the package.

I've been remembering family stories a lot the last few days (with Edna's funeral tomorrow and all). When Mom was failing a couple years back, two of Edna's daughters brought her up to visit Mom at the same time we were there. Edna told me a story about my Dad that had been a secret for umpteen decades. Back in the days when I first started smoking (and actually admitted it to my folks) Dad would caution me about smoking in bed over and over again. I never knew why the obsession until Edna told me that she had come home from work one afternoon to find that Dad had laid down in his bed and lit a cigarette and proceeded to doze off. He burned a hole in the mattress which was smoldering when Edna arrived and she doused it with a glass of water, then patched up the mattress for him and neither let on to their parents who would have given Dad a real licking for nearly killing himself, burning down the house, etc., etc. Edna said she came home to find a new sweater lying on her bed one day soon after.

We're supposed to get some actual summer weather tomorrow.....about time. We've had the heat on so far in June, but not run the AC since last year. Weather here has be like early May for weeks and weeks. Cool and rain, rain, rain. It has only reached 80 degrees twice this year...today was the second time. It's been hotter in the Twin Cities than it's been here in Chicagoland.

Don't know the details yet, but we're expecting company here the 4th of July weekend. Meg, Jon and son Eli are coming along with Meg's cousin Rebecca. (Meg and Rebecca are daughters of two of my brothers). Looking forward to the visit. I tease them that they plotted a visit last summer that never came to pass, but this year there's a new 'cousin' named Nathan to come see.

No comments:

Post a Comment