Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Good morning.

Nine business days remaining until I "retire" from Sara Lee. Yesterday, when I stepped outside myself and observed, it was interesting to see how my attitude toward work there has shifted. I'm trying to organize my files in a manner that will be useful to the woman who will follow up after I'm gone. In meetings, topics that would have been of great interest are more like academic discussions. What would have been critical a week ago is only of passing interest. I found myself offering advice rather than influencing a direction.

I'm trying to wrap my head around how I will proceed with the next phase of my career. I was having a conversation with a friend last night, and we concluded that I'll likely take a couple weeks off to clear up chores around the house that have been waiting for my attention. The change of pace, the working with my hands, will give my mind a chance to acclimate to the new situation. I tease about retiring, but that's not quite in the cards just yet.

Having been through this all before, I realize that life will go on and we will be just fine....we only need to determine what shape life will take next. I'm going to be rather picky about that, I think.

Back to the day-to-day stuff. The stupid drain in the kitchen has developed a clog. It in the wall, the existing piping. I think what's going on is that the crud on the sides of the drain pipe got nice and dry during the 5 or 6 weeks of not having water run over it all day every day. Some of it sloughed off and stuck to some that did not slough off. Between my trusty snake and 'better living though modern chemistry' I will triumph, but it's really aggravating to have a clogged drain in our gorgeous new kitchen. Must be part of God's message about staying humble and not getting too big for my britches.

No comments:

Post a Comment