Friday, April 3, 2009

Career update

So, the marketing myself plan has fallen within the Web2.0 realm....developing a Jim Eilers Brand, putting my brand out there on my personal web site, a professionally associated blog, using LinkedIn and Twitter and all that stuff. In these times, I figured I needed to really find a way to pull away from the pack, especially being in the over 50 set. By using the web I can get myself in front of more prospects. I also can provide meaningful data about myself and my talents through the web in advance of interviews when prospective employers use the web to check out their applicants.

There are solid signs today that the strategy is beginning to take hold. I was able to contact an old colleague through LinkedIn and do some homework on a company that has an advertised opening. Becasue I found this old friend on the web, I was able to see that she had passed through this company on her way to her current job. We had a chat about her experience there.

I got an email from a recruiter in Hew Hampshire who was working on filling a job out there....she had a standing Google search for someone with my kind of background and Google sent her my way. While we won't be leaving Chicagoland for New England, I know some folks who perhaps would consider it, so the recruiter and I traded notes and we'll see if I can't steer her toward a live prospect.

Finally, I got a call from an HR screener at a company where I had applied. The call went well, and I'll be going in for an interveiw next week. I'll be curious to learn how much my Web2.0 brand contributed to getting my foot in the door (I'd bet better than even money it helped.)

So, for today, things are looking up.

No comments:

Post a Comment