Wednesday, April 15, 2009

These are screwy times

Survivor's remorse again.

I am having a hassle with the prescription service through which I order my med's. They do an exemplary job when everything goes according to standard process. After being laid off, there have been paperwork snafus and that throws a monkey wrench in the prescription service and heaven forbid someone take some individual initiative.

So I'm feeling picked on because getting my pills is being a nuisance.

Then I hear from an old co-worker friend from pre-Sara Lee times. He got canned this week. His severance package is the remaining paycheck that hasn't yet been mailed. He gets no continuation of health insurance benefits.

My problem can be solved by having my doctor write a small prescription that I can fill locally while the red tape gets worked out. For that I will have suffered an inconvenience. My friend is worried about getting his wife healthcare. He's worried about making his mortgage payments. He's worried about finding work.

We have survived that kind of hardship at our house in the past, and my friend will as well. I just need to keep my perspective focused on what's important.

I retired from running the West Suburban Job Seekers a few years ago. I may need to come out of retirement.

No comments:

Post a Comment