Monday, April 13, 2009

Ramblings

Good evening.

Life goes on here, even though it may be pretty mundane by some measures. Sue and Laura went to Rob & Amanda's on Saturday and did some painting and delivering of goods for the decorating of the nursery. When here for dinner on Sunday, Amanda seemed to be pleased with the progress. Amanda is definitely beginning to look big enough to pop, but she still has 6 weeks or so to go. Other than the general discomfort, Mom seems to be doing well.

Rob has finished (or all but finished) building a mission style oak rocker for the nursery. He has begun on a changing table to match....it will be convertible into a bookcase once diaper duty is past.

Laura seems to be a fixture here, and while some folks would complain about adult children at home, we don't. She leads her own existence, feeds and funds her own car, comes and goes as she pleases, but pitches in to help with the upkeep of the house as well.

Spring threatens to come around, but we've not had a good streak of nice warm days yet. This morning was a miserable time with temperatures above freezing, but not by all that much and raining besides. I had to be outside in that to do some chores and did not enjoy myself in the least....but survived.

The between jobs thing continues. One hassle is that the company that administers COBRA (extension of health insurance) benefits has been having system problems. This means that while my insurance is paid for and active from the day I left work, the carriers don't know it and they are declining benefits. This is all temporary, but a nuisance. I have a couple doctor bills that will need to be resubmitted. The biggest problem is that I have prescriptions that need refilling and the drug company isn't in the loop yet. I'm not out of meds yet, but if not straightened up in the next few days I'll have a hassle to get meds. It looks like system troubles are on the mend, but the problem isn't gone until I officially have benefits reinstated. What a nuisance.

With that venting accomplished, it's time to step back and consider how trivial the hassles in our life are. I'm not working for the time, but we're financially sound. I will have insurance, it's not that I have none and can't get it. We are secure and warm and have a nice house and money in the bank...so quit your bitching, James.

I even have job prospects. Had a phone screen last week for a job that isn't going to pan out (their loss, not mine.) This afternoon I was invited back for a second round of talks with folks who have a job in a culture that I think will be a really good fit for me. I'm very pleased about this and excited by the prospect. Even in these screwy times, there is still business that needs to get done, and that means it's only a matter of time before I find the people who need my particular talents and temperment to help their venture. Perhaps that will be sooner rather than later.

Sue and I head for the Twin Cities this weekend to do some family catching up and to deliver some merchandise from our house to other peoples' houses. Hooray for the chance to get stuff out of our place!

No comments:

Post a Comment