Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Considering a new blog

I already have 2 blogs -- this one, and one that is intended to promote myself as an invaluable job candidate that anyone would be foolish not to have on staff. The new one I'm considering is to help folks who need self-promotion to get some pointers about how to do so. I've seen some dreadful examples so far.

Earlier this week, I learned how to start filtering and sorting through Twitter postings ("Tweets") for the kinds of content I wish to view while searching for my next job. I've seen lots of good examples. Unfortunately, I've seen some that are pretty poor as well.

I have set up a search for the term "Supply Chain" and I see anything that's posted anywhere on Twitter that contains that phrase. There's some junk, like the several posting from students complaining about hard supply chain projects between themselves. They're easy to ignore. There's good stuff too; references to online conferences, job prospects, etc. Then there was the one that stood out.

A young man had posted a note (which I'm sure was intended to be read only by his personal friends) in which he declared that he'd applied for a supply chain internship with McDonald's (fine so far) but then went on to state that he hoped it would yield free f***ing fries.

I expect he thought that was a hoot for his buddies. Unfortunately, Twitter is very very far from private, and since I could view his message, so could anyone else. In a perfect case where I chose to ignore the common sense of MYOB, I sent back a note expressing my hope that no one at Mickey D's had a Twitter search similar to mine and that perhaps he would be better served to be more tactful in public forums. He hasn't flamed me back, so perhaps he will take the words to heart.

OK, long story, sorry. Anyhow, there's a need for the word to get out about how to ( and not to) use the WWW better for job hunting. Perhaps this will be my next do-gooder mission.

No comments:

Post a Comment