Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Liesure life ends soon

Formal job offer arrived this morning via messenger before 10:00 a.m. All was in order. I emailed acceptance and placed formal, signed confirmation in the mail....also went to the lab and 'donated' a specimen for the required drug screening. About that same time my new boss called to confirm some details for networking stuff, email sign-in, etc. They must be planning on me, so this isn't some figment of my imagination.

I had lunch today with a former-work friend and will have another on Wednesday. Moving away from folks I know, trust, respect, and love will be the tough part.

I'm looking forward to the new gig. I really, really liked these folks while interviewing. This looks to be a culture into which I will fit very well. The work is stuff I can sink my teeth into and which I can help them get accomplished. There are more fun chores beyond the first set, so there's a future as well.

The company is Bay Valley Foods. They are a relatively new player, formed by executives of Keebler after that company merged with Kelloggs a few years ago. Bay Valley largely produces "private label" items --- that is they don't do their own brands, but make stuff for other folks, so I hadn't heard much about them and I suspect you haven't either. That doesn't mean that they are a 'light weight' -- 2008 sales were $1.5 billion. They have designs on acquiring more businesses and growing that to $3 billion in the immediate future. For you investor types, the parent company in Tree House Foods NYSE symbol TSE.

My duties will be to assume forecasting responsibilities for some portion of their business. I fully expect to also help with the implementation of new demand planning software that they are installing and to become involved in system updates that will be needed as they grow. These folks continue to grow in this crummy economy.

I'm excited to get started.....getting an old codger like me excited says a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment